For the creation of the OPM Mars Basemap, we have used pre-generated MOLA-based contours lines by @thare using the commercial Global Mapper software (v18), which has smoothing and removing of small features built-in. These contours were generated using:
- Intervals: 200m and 1km
- Smoothing 7x7 box over DEM
- Smooth lines but with a simplify of 0.1
- Any feature less than 2km in length were removed
As we are creating basemaps for other bodies (eg. Moon, Mercury), we would like to be able to produce similar quality (or better) contours lines from any scale DTM data products (local or regional), using free and open source (FOS) software.
We propose to experiment with gdal_contour and other tools people might know.
- Cool maps (and tutorials!) by Eleanor Lutz. Topo w/ contours and Geology examples: http://tabletopwhale.com
- jupyter notebooks: https://github.com/eleanorlutz/topography_atlas_of_space
- more from: https://github.com/eleanorlutz
- uses a bunch of tricks via gdal and other apps.