Started with 3 short talks (links are coming).
What is NAIF SPICE?
- Audience: Interesting to see NAIF begin to use formats like DSK
- NAIF: Think of DSK as the “P” in SPICE (planet). So it allows you to more accurately intersect the surface. There is no plan to add “GIS” type functionality.
- NAIF: DSK are interesting since they can support multi-resolution and irregular bodies
- Audience: Do DSK also cover raster DEMs?
- NAIF: We are adding raster-based DEM support
- Audience: To help support Cube Sats, various SPICE templates would be interesting for NAIF to support
- Audience: Need to promote across other facilities that are creating their own “SPICE” methods. Pushing from top-down to these facilities are tough.
- Audience: Kernel versioning is still tough
- Audience: Error methods would be good, not sure which kernels are being used when
- Audience: JPL Horizons …
- NAIF: We are looking for comments
- Audience: With SPICE 2.0, updates to SpiceyPy could be helped by being SWIG wrapped
- NAIF: Good questions,
- Audience: Are you developing on GitHub so the community can follow
- NAIF: there is a good chance, when first prototype is ready that could happen. Are there some examples you can provide?
- Audience: It would be good to see how the framework is coming along. Good see the API early